912 3rd Street
Dumont, IA 50625
Dumont Reformed Church (also referred to as the German Reformed Church
of Dumont and the First Reformed Church of Dumont) was organized on
October 23, 1912, under the leadership of Rev. Gerrit (George) Veenker,
classical missionary (1910-1921). After preaching several times in
Dumont a desire for regular services became more and more evident.
first petition for public services was signed by fifty persons who
requested an organized congregation. This petition was laid before the
Pleasant Prairie Classis at its fall meeting in September 1912. At
this meeting, after much prayer and consideration, the Classis
appointed two members, Rev. Erko Aeilts (classical missionary from
1904-1910) and Rev. Gerrit Veenker of the Church Extension Committee
to visit the Dumont people with the ultimate result that the committee
found the conditions favorable for an organized church in Dumont and
therefore accepted the field as a Mission Field and arranged through
Classis for pulpit supply.
October 23, 1912, the families interested in a Reformed Church in
Dumont met in the Evangelical Brethren Church. The Rev. Erko Aeilts
spoke on Acts 2:42. After the message twenty-four persons made public
confession of their faith in Christ and six more people were received
into the new church by transfer of membership from other churches.
George Claassen, father of Grace Crawford, and Weert Wearda were then
elected as elders and Ben Lolling and Elme Dohlman were elected as
summer of 1913 the Dumont Reformed Church purchased lots 1, 2, 23, and
24 of the Pedergast addition for $1,200.00 and began erecting a house
of worship. The approximate cost for the church building was
$5,000.00. A house owned by a former doctor was soon purchased for
$3,500.00 and became the parsonage.
first pastor of the Dumont Reformed Church was Rev. H. Blaschke. He
served the church for only a short time, from January 1913 to April
1913. The next pastor was Rev. Frederick Christian Sextus Bosch. He
served the church from 1913-1916. During his pastorate the new church
was dedicated. It was also during his pastorate that the new bell was
purchased on March 28, 1914. The cost of the bell was $197.70.
a two year vacancy Rev. Justus H. Brandau, professor at Dubuque
College, became the pastor. He served the Dumont Reformed from
1918-1924. It was during his pastorate that services began to be held
in English. Rev. Albert Wubena followed Rev. Brandau. He served the
church from 1926-1930. The next pastor of this growing congregation
was the Rev. Clarence J. Denekas. He served the church from 1930-1933.
Rev. George Schnueker followed Rev. Denekas. He arrived on the field
in 1933. His pastorate was cut short by his untimely death on February
13, 1934. Rev. Albert Linnemann became the new pastor in 1934. He
stayed to 1936. During his pastorate the front entry to the church
basement was added. The Rev. John G. Thellken accepted a call to the
Dumont Reformed Church in 1936. He served the church faithfully until
1939 Rev. Herman Potter became the pastor. He had been pastor a little
over a year when the church burned down on Thanksgiving Day, November
28, 1940. At the next consistory meeting it was decided to erect a new
house of worship. The actual construction was begun in the spring of
1941 with the members of the congregation doing most of the work.
While the congregation was without a church building, worship services
were held in the Legion Hall and Bethany United Church. The
cornerstone was laid on May 28. 1941, and the new edifice was
dedicated on November 20, 1941. Rev. Potter served the church until
Rev. Edsert Smidt and his wife Magreta moved to Dumont in 1952. During
the second year of his pastorate the consistory was enlarged from two
elders and two deacons to four elders and four deacons. During the
last days of his pastorate the congregation celebrated its 50th
anniversary, on June 9, 1963. The key speakers were Rev. Clarence
Denekas and the Rev. John Nieuwsema. Rev. Nieuwsema had married Jean
Potter, daughter of Rev. Herman Potter. Rev. Smidt served the
congregation until August 27, 1963.
Rev. John Ailts and his wife Margaret accepted a call to the Dumont
Reformed Church in January 1964. During his pastorate the extended
narthex was added to the church. It was dedicated December 2, 1973.
Rev. Esdert Smidt was the key speaker for the day. Rev. Ailts served
the church faithfully until his retirement in 1976. In 1976 the church
extended a call to a seminary student named Roger D. Punt. Rev. Punt
accepted the call and he and wife Judy moved to Dumont in May of 1976.
During his pastorate the basement of the church was remodeled (new
kitchen and classrooms). The newly remodeled basement was dedicated on
April 16, 1978. Rev. Punt served the church until 1982 when he
accepted a call to the Reformed Church of Steen, Minnesota.
church rejoiced when the Rev. Kenneth M. Cordes accepted a call to the
church in 1982. Rev. Cordes and his wife Eunice did a lot of calling
during his pastorate. Rev. Cordes' pastorate was cut short by his
untimely death on Father's Day, June 16, 1985. During his pastorate
the Devore property was purchased for $10,000.00 which was demolished,
and the property was turned into a much needed parking lot. Rev. James
P. Medendorf and his wife Shirl moved to Dumont in 1986 to become the
shepherd of the Dumont Reformed Church. During his pastorate the
outside of the parsonage was remodeled. The church also celebrated its
75th anniversary during his pastorate. To celebrate this occasion, a
new church sign was erected in memory of Rev. Kenneth Cordes and three
trees were planted on the east side of the church. Each tree
represented the 25 years of the church's history. A former pastor,
Rev. Roger Punt, was the key speaker for the 75th anniversary. Also,
during Pastor Medendorf's pastorate the stained glass project for the
sanctuary was begun. Rev. Medendorf served the congregation until
Rev. Carl E. Gearhart, his wife Kathy, and their three children
arrived in Dumont on August 19, 1990, coming from the mission field in
Apache, Oklahoma. During the pastorate of Rev. Gearhart, bushes were
planted on the east and west sides of the church, carpet was installed
in the church basement, a new room was added to the basement with the
area under the narthex dug out. The handicap entrance on the north
side of the church was added, and the stained glass windows project
was completed. After a tornado hit the bell tower in 1998, it was
decided to take it down. This led to some major remodeling of the
church exterior. Pastor Gearhart served the congregation until the
summer of 2000.
June 3, 2001 we welcomed Western Seminary student, Peter TeWinkle who
served this congregation for 10 weeks. Peter returned to Holland,
Michigan to complete his final year of Seminary.
with joy that we welcomed the Rev. Robert Scholten, his wife,
Cheryl, and daughters Lisa Joy and Hannah, as our pastor in July 2001.
Prior to their arrival, extensive updating and remodeling was done to
the parsonage. During their time here Pastor Bob proved to be
very diligent in serving the Lord. Numerous outreach and
ministry programs were started. In 2006 Dumont Reformed Church
was honored by being placed on the "Who's Who Among America's Churches
Registry". After five years of service, Pastor Bob accepted a
call from Jackson County Ministries to become a Mission Pastor for the
Annville Reformed Church in Annville, Kentucky.
Pastor Scholten's departure in March of 2006, the congregation of
Dumont Reformed Church started preparing for the next undershepard the Lord has chosen for us. New projects for the
church including updating of technology with the instillation of
an LCD projector and screen for multi-media presentations. New
windows and concrete repairs are slated for the Spring/Summer of 2007.
The parsonage saw extensive renovations as well.
The kitchen was expanded and new cabinets, lighting, countertops,
island, and appliances were installed. Carpet and paneling throughout the parsonage have been replaced. The
downstairs bathroom was expanded and a new shower and vanity
In the Summer of 2007
Dumont Reformed was blessed with the arrival of our new Pastors Jeff
and April Fiet. Jeff and April were both recent graduates from
Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan. A month
before coming to Dumont they became the proud parents of Jakob Allen
Fiet. Both pastors take part in each worship service and switch
duties from week to week. Together they share their gift of
music with the congregation, and praise hymns have been added to the
worship services. As new pastors they have hit the ground running and
continue expanding community outreach and youth programs for Dumont
and the surrounding area.
the congregation numbers around 175 communicant members. As the
congregation of the Dumont Reformed Church looks forward to the new
millennium, their prayer is that they can continue to grow in number
and spirituality as they serve the Almighty God.